Dow To Showcase Power of MobilityScience™ Solutions at Automotive World 2023
Visitors to Dow’s booth 38-8 at the upcoming Japan trade show will get an inside look at the solutions and collaborations shaping a low-carbon future for mobility across the entire vehicle life cycle.
Tokyo, Japan, Jan. 25, 2023 – This week, from January 25-27 at Tokyo Big Sight in Japan, Dow’s (NYSE: DOW) MobilityScience™ expertise, collaborations and solutions for the future of the automotive industry will be on display at the 15th Automotive World Show 2023.
“We are so excited to be showcasing the latest innovations in materials science for the world’s fastest growing automotive market,” said Jon Penrice, President MobilityScience™. “The mobility and transportation industry is experiencing a near-unprecedented level of change – with the latest technologies enabling a simultaneous demand for safer, more connected, autonomous and electric vehicles. Our MobilityScience™ team stands ready with world-class technical capabilities and decades of experience to help OEMs and tiers navigate the road ahead.”
This year’s Automotive World Show represents an opportunity for Dow to emphasize its global commitment to decarbonize mobility through reduction of its own emissions and products, engineering materials solutions for sustainable disassembly, exploring new technologies to create parts that can be reused, repaired or recycled, and committing to generating value from waste. The show also allows Dow to re-assert its focus on helping address consumer demand, which is continuing its shift toward electric vehicles and a more refined and custom driving experience. The specific materials solutions on display at Dow’s booth have a powerful role to play in addressing those trends.
For safe, reliable, and high performing battery pack assembly, battery fire protection and assembly and protection of battery management systems and power electronic devices that meet the needs of new generation E-mobility:
- DOWSIL™ Thermal Conductive Materials - Designed to dissipate the heat from electronics to heat sink, these gap fillers provide reliable cooling solutions for engine or transmission control units, on board chargers, or in battery packs or modules.
- VORATRON™ Adhesives, Pottants, Gap fillers - Optimal bonding power, attributing to lightweighting. Designed to offer fire protection, vibration absorption, thermal insulation and structure to the battery and cells.
- ELECPURE™ Thermo-responsive Separator - Thermo-responsive polymer emulsion to shut down Li-ion battery separator and reduce thermal runaway risk at high temperature.
- DOWSIL™ EC 8425 Adhesive - Designed for electromagnetic interference (EMI) shielding or grounding applications where durable mechanical and conductive properties are required alongside reliable performance at high temperature and vibration.
For improved reduction in noise, vibration and harshness (NVH), a more enjoyable, comfortable ride to enhance driving experience:
- LUXSENSE™ Silicone Synthetic Leather - The world’s 1st silicone-based luxury synthetic leather material. Environmentally friendly alternative to genuine leather. Combines luxury, comfort, and wellness.
- INFINAIR™ POE Solution for 3D Loop Mattresses - A washable and breathable solution for auto seating and mattresses of trunks or recreational vehicle, which is easier to recycle than mattresses made with traditional foams, allowing OEMs to produce mattresses that their customers love in an environmentally sustainable way.
- Next-Generation ENGAGE™ Polyolefin Elastomers (POE) - Dow’s next generation POE provides more flexibilities for interior and exterior design, allowing OEM to create the low gloss or luxury haptic surfaces, or to adopt eco-friendly water-based coating system for more parts.
And more sustainable solutions:
- SILASTIC™ Self Sealing Tire - The world’s first silicone recyclable self-sealing tire solution, developed in collaboration with Bridgestone, provides passengers with lightweighting, safety, and durability.
- SPECFLEX C™ PU System - Designed to help automotive OEMs meet their market and regulatory demands for more circular products and reach their sustainability goals. Enables a wide range of flexible foam systems commonly used for comfort and acoustic purposes in interior, exterior and powertrain.
- ENGAGE™ REN Polyolefin Elastomers (POE) - Bio-based POE produced from plant-based raw materials using Dow’s mass balance technology certified by the International Sustainability & Carbon Certification (ISCC), helping to reduce auto parts’ carbon footprint.
Also on display at Dow’s booth will be the Jaguar I-TYPE 5 - the official electric racecar of Dow’s partner, the Jaguar TCS Racing Formula E Team in Season 8 of the ABB FIA Formula E World Championship. The racecar features various innovations on which Dow and Jaguar TCS Racing collaborated on to help improve the car’s sustainability, efficiency and performance. As the team’s Official Materials Science Partner since 2021, Dow’s MobilityScience™ engineers have been working with Jaguar TCS Racing to explore solutions to EV challenges such as thermal management, lightweighting, adhesion and EMI that will ultimately help pave the way for innovation off the track as well.
Through collaboration with like-minded organizations like Jaguar TCS Racing and industry OEMs, Dow and its partners and customers are able tap into one another’s expertise, incorporating the latest research, processes and cutting-edge technologies to help fast-track a low-carbon future for mobility.
“An unprecedented level of transformation requires unprecedented levels of investment, innovation and collaboration,” said Patrick McLeod, Dow Japan President. “The portfolio of proven MobilityScience™ technologies and strategic partnerships on display at Automotive World 2023 will signify to the industry that we can help turn challenges into opportunities, from production to end-of-life.”
Dow builds on 100+ years of transportation experience and expertise in application development to deliver innovative, cutting-edge solutions that keep the world moving. Its MobilityScience™ team provides OEMs and Tiers with a seamless and collaborative global partner for materials innovation through access to world-class technical capabilities and a broad portfolio of materials science solutions for the industry. Dow is committed to the future of mobility and is addressing the most pressing mobility challenges like de-carbonization and improving EV performance. For more information visit www.DowMobilityScience.com.
Dow (NYSE: DOW) combines global breadth; asset integration and scale; focused innovation and materials science expertise; leading business positions; and environmental, social and governance (ESG) leadership to achieve profitable growth and deliver a sustainable future. The Company's ambition is to become the most innovative, customer centric, inclusive and sustainable materials science company in the world. Dow's portfolio of plastics, industrial intermediates, coatings and silicones businesses delivers a broad range of differentiated, science-based products and solutions for its customers in high-growth market segments, such as packaging, infrastructure, mobility and consumer applications. Dow operates 104 manufacturing sites in 31 countries and employs approximately 35,700 people. Dow delivered sales of approximately $55 billion in 2021. References to Dow or the Company mean Dow Inc. and its subsidiaries. For more information, please visit www.dow.com or follow @DowNewsroom on Twitter.
For further information, please contact:
+86 21 38511518
+81 3 54606276